We are located a short, flat walk from the centre of York and the mainline rail station. York is a quite compact city and the majority of attractions are no more than fifteen minutes away provided you can avoid distractions! We are directly on the banks of the River Ouse with public cycle and walkways at the front.
Our address is:
13/14 Earlsborough Terrace
York is centrally located in North Yorkshire and situated mid–way between London and Edinburgh. There are exceptionally good rail links to the city and a good road network.
The Abbey Guest House is located on the riverside away from main roads and close to the rail station.
Distances to key cities
|City||Approx distance to York||Approx road travel time|
|Leeds||25 miles||45 minutes|
|Edinburgh||200 miles||4 ½ hours|
|London||200 miles||5 hours|
|Stratford upon Avon||120 miles||2 ½ hours|
|Chester||100 miles||3 hours|
|Bath||180 miles||5 hours|
Directions to the Abbey Guest House, 13/14 Earlsborough Terrace, Marygate, York, YO30 7BQ
- Join the A1237 York outer ring road from your approach road.
- Take the A19 turning (from the north side of the city) into the city centre – the junction is at the Rawcliffe Bar Park & Ride site, and you will see a Busy Bees children's Nursery on the roundabout.
- Follow the road into the city for approx. 2 miles going straight through the traffic lights at Clifton Green.
- Once you have passed the Churchill Hotel on the left and the York Registry Office on the right look out for the road Marygate to the right – the end of the road is marked with a tower which once formed part of St Mary's Abbey.
- Turn down Marygate and follow the road to the end where it bears to the right – ahead of you will be the Marygate Car Park.
- Turn left and then immediately right which will take you down behind the row of houses which is Earlsborough Terrace.
- The private car park for the Abbey Guest House is at the end of this small road – please be careful when you get almost into the car park as you have to cross a foot and cycle path before parking up.
- Please park in any available space and come into the house via the side gate.
By Rail (less than 10 minutes to walk)
- From your arrival platform at York Station, find platform number 2a (situated just to the side of platform 3 at the northern side of the station).
- At the nearest end of platform 2a are some Gents toilets – go to the right of these toilets and into the short stay car park. Walk to the far end of the car park (past the rental car bays).
- Now take the zig zag cycle & pedestrian ramp down to the path and turn left – this path leads you down to the river side. Look across the river and you will see the Abbey Guest House directly opposite you.
- Take the steps up onto the footbridge which is to your left and walk across the river. Enter the Abbey Guest House by the front gate.
If you have any problems, please call us and we will direct you in – 01904 627782.
Jane Meller and Kingsley Sawyers